Contact: Roryeaglestone(at)googlemail.com

Get in touch if you want to send me stuff or point me in the direction of new stuff.

Monday, 24 May 2010

GREY - London Skateboard Magazine.



Areet lads 'n' lasses...

Slight new aesthetic for the blog here - wanting to have a big push this summer and the photoshopping required for the magazine cover shots - although simple - was really getting on me wick and draining the fun so I've given it up and we'll now be seeing the mags in a more 'still life/available light' guise.

Anyhoo, I love skateboarding... I'm really crap but I love it. I love the people it brings together, I love the skill and dedication required to be good and I love the creativity it fosters and engenders. Grey is a good example of that.



It's been hot here, and I've had a chance to ride out again - spending a bit les time turning cranks and a bit more time on the board. I popped into NOTE (Manchester) for some new bushings and this was on the desk so I slung it in me bag.

It's great.

Skatemags are rarely that good (Especially since we sadly lost Document) - for me they always focus too much on the big pro's and handrail bashers... and that isn't the reality of skateboarding... not everyone's a tosser who says 'rad' too much. Grey focuses on the London scene and spots - some familiar and some less so. "Less emphasis on the gnarliest most grounbreaking skateboarding. Instead Grey will show you new spots and lesser know skaters" - in their own words.

It's printed on great stock - the type that gets heavily saturated in a matte finish and smells good when you open it (if you're a print-head like me anyhoo!). It's small too, a feature I really liked and befitting it's understated style.

The photography's ace - much of it is as good as any other skatemag but some is really excellent and composed in much more of a 'photography' style as opposed to a 'here's-a-pic-of-this-guy-doing-this-trick' style. You get the gist.



The interviews are sound and discuss skateboarding without degenerating into in-jokes or just asking them to tell us about a time they cocked about. Plus Mike Manzoori's in it - and who doesn't love Mike Manzoori.

There's a work of fiction at the end which I really enjoyed, and things like this are what skatemags (and skateboarding as a whole) needs - it's what keeps us a culture not a sport.

This is a simple, beautiful and well designed package, and really mirrors the feel of british skateboarding.



Nice one.

Check it out here: greyskatemag.com

1 comment:

  1. Nice review, makes me want get my hands on a copy! Hope they'll find a Leeds stockist in the near future.

    ReplyDelete